04 November 2011

This & That

It is raining today! The normal blue sky has turned grey and finally, finally I can open some windows to get some fresh air and turn the air con off. I really like the sunny weather every day, but to be able to put the kettle on, light a candle and have soup for lunch feel kind of cosy too. I might have to postpone that walk to the dry cleaning though and take the car:)

The cleaning compay tunred up on Wednesday, even if an hour late. Pretty happy with the result, not AMAZING but ok. Will keep them for now until I find a better option.
Also made it to the hairdresser. Somehow my hair is darker than before (I had highlights done) so not sure if there was some miscommunication but it will also do for now. Not sure if I will go back to the same place, but I will make an appointment for Gavin there tomorrow (with a different hair dresser) since I received a gift card worth $25. You have to love all the coupons, gift cards etc. here......

Went down to Laguna Beach yesterday to have lunch with a friend. LB is probably one of the prettiest places I have ever seen and this would most likely be my choice where to live. This photo shows the main beach


This photo was taken another time but yesterday was just as pretty, we could even watch some dolphins and seals playing in the water while having lunch!

Weekend is nearly here! Friday night is Kobi night. Most Fridays there is a small truck parked outside our apartment complex, it is the Kobi truck serving Korean BBQ food. It is more like a mixture between Mexican and Korean and so far we have never made it. Last week we were too late and ended up trying a new Mexican venue out which turned out to be a good choice but perhaps tonight. These food trucks seem to be very popular here.

Tomorrow we might head up to LA to buy some Swedish food! There is a small deli which sells all kind of stuff and I need to find out, what kind of Christmas goodies they will have, e.g. do I need to order the Christmas ham? Luckily for Gavin, the  hairdresser I went to has a British/Indian food mart next door, they have an excellent supply of Indian spices etc and a lot of British food, Bisto, pork pies, mushy peas. I asked the owner where you can get a good curry in Orange County, he looked at me as had he never heard of OC but then pointed me towards the back to the food corner. So take away it was that night. Unfortunately half of India walked in at the same time and it had probably been just as quick to make the curry myself but it turned out to be quite a half decent curry. Even got a freebie - another coupon which gave us 10 $ discount if we spent more than $40. So he added something from the menu to reach above 40 and then I paid less then I would have initially. I told you - welcome to the coupon country!

I have started subscribing to LA Times. Wow, it is a lot thinner these days then I remember it being. It is cheap: $1,50 a week for 4 issues a week, Thursday to Sunday, but the paper is nothing compared to what it used to be. It is very very thin, and you know how thick the Sunday edition normally is (any newspaper would normally require half a day to read it), well, no more..not so different from any other day. Coincidentally, it has been covering a topic I am only too familiar with lately. How hard it is to find used cars here, AFFORDABLE used cars. Very interesting articles, but I am still wondering..what happens to all the used cars?

Another thing we are now subscribing to is Skype. We purchased a Skype phone last week, bought two phone numbers in Europe, one in Sweden and the other one in the UK. Now that part is working fine. But we are also subscribing to unlimited free phone calls in Europe and this part is not quite working yet. I have contacted the customer support and all I get is some very general answers and not much help (is it a mobile phone you are trying to call? No. blah blah). So we will see if it will turn out to be a good idea or not.
Basically friends and family can now phone our Swedish or English numbers and we can pick up the phone here, which is is connected to the router. I think we pay around 20 euro a year for each number. The subscription for unlimited calls Europe is about 60 euro, so all together, around 100. Now, that sounds a lot better than 20 dollar landline per month excluding the call charges. I'll keep you posted about the outcome.






No comments: