18 November 2011

Food

It has been a pretty uneventful week. No sign of the baby yet so I am focusing all my energy (trust me, there is a lot at the moment) on cooking and baking. The idea is to pre-cook and freeze for busier days, which we are sure, will come soon. One of the problems is though, it is hard to cook something nice without eating it! Made some Swedish meatballs the other day and when they were ready to go into the freezer, there were only about 11 left. So I had to make another round,


And some Swedish pannbiff...


Happy to say, my first attempt to make bread turn out really nicely. Below is some bread with sundried tomatoes, based on durum wheat (which I could never find in Germany), perfect to a salad or soup. Don´t know how I survived without the kitchen aid before, such a great companion in the kitchen and it makes baking soooo easy.



I tried to make some banana and blueberry muffins two nights ago, bit of a disaster so they had to go straight to the bin. No pictures of them, they were flat as a pancake coming out of the oven. You can imagine how I happy I was with the bread, was starting to have real doubts about my baking abilities.


Tonight´s dinner (i.e, if hubby ever comes home from work) will be oven baked chicken with dijon mustard cream sauce, mash and French beans. Slowly figuring out the gas cooker and oven, not super convinced that gas ovens are great, but the cooker - ever so quick so this is definitely an advantage!



I popped down to the Indian supermarket around the corner earlier on, looking for some ajvar relish. Even if it is turskish and not Indian, you´d be surprised what you can find there. They even have various Maggi sauces and such a hardcore German thing as Sauerkraut! But no ajvar, hence going for the dijon. Great supermarket though, half of the vegetables they sell, I have never seen before.



No comments: