15 November 2011

One Month in Irvine

I have now been off work for a month and I can clearly say this has been the most unproductive month in  a very long time. Who needs 6 weeks off before giving birth? I understand that not every pregnancy is as easy as mine but 6 weeks!!! In fact, I think it has made me feel worse. Had I had a reason to be up and about all the time I am certain, I wouldnt have spent minutes every day to feel how I am actually feeling. You know, it is all in the head and if you have too much time to start contemplating if every toe is doing ok, well soner or later they are not. You kind of over analyze yourself.

Anyway, I was kind of lucky since I could take advantage of the maternity leave and come and join Gavin here so I shouldnt complain, it has been great 4 weeks to spend with my hubby.

Some thoughts of the last 4 weeks

  • Love the weather. I haven´t worn socks since I arrived. That says it all huh!
  • Chatty people. People like talking to strangers and commenting on things. I think it is really nice and people seem to love pregnant women. I did run into some weirdo at Costco´s. This woman gave me her business card (preschool teacher) and I felt a little stalked after she approached me the fourth time and wanted to discuss The bump. Now, Costco´s is huge. No coincidence if you run into someone four times.
  •  American toilets suck. They are full of water and they block easily. I dont want to feel as if I am going down a ride in a waterpark every time I am on the toilet. 
  • Customer service is nearly always perfect. Such a joy to go out for dinner. 
  • Manicure & pedicure: VERY cheap and everyone does it. I am not a huge fan of other people´s feet, especially not if they are minging. Such a joy for my eyes here, no neglected feet to be seen anywhere. And, even if I have a huge bum, humongous bump, my feet  and nails look very nice. Always something.
  • Some people can be incredibly slow. When crossing the road, driving, shopping...Whether it is Irvine, Orange County or California or me having a serious damage from Germany, dunno. On the other hand, there are no annoying BMW drivers here beeping the horn or trying to undertake you on the autobahn.  Guess it evens out.
  • Cars stop as soon as you are thinking about crossing the street. Big like! The nicest thing happened last week Friday walking from the car park to Target. No car would stop but within seconds a police car turn up, blocked the street off so I could cross it. Now that is service!
  • Dissolving sausages. The strangest thing happened when I made a gumbo last night. A gumbo is a kind of a Southern stew. You roast the oil with the flour to get a nice chocolate brown colour, this will be the base. Now, I put in some chorizo sausages and I got this spooky colour and the sausages dissolved. Very weird. I was told this morning by a friend, there is a major difference between Mexican and Spanish chorizo. See, the Spanish is solid and will not disappear into nirvana. Glad it had nothing to do with my cooking. Slowly getting used to some of the products here. Really really love the supermarkets, they are all nice as pie, but I have realised everything is not what they tend to be.
  • Still looking for a Spanish teacher. No luck so far.
  • Finally made it to the pediatrician tonight. She is Swedish, seems very nice, but unfortunately she is taking a year off to go and work in Sweden. Office seems nice so we will probably stick with it.
Buying a birthing ball tomorrow. Perhaps that will speed things up. Although, I am really looking forward to our first Thanksgiving dinner in the US next week. And SWEA is having their anual Christmas market next week Sunday. Looks like we have a busy week ahead of us!

2 comments:

Annika said...

Så nu har ni kommit till US...
Inte så lätt att landa i nytt land. Jag vet.
Jag har ju varit här i 18 år på heltid så jag får nog anses som "grounded". Mkt nytt att ta in och lära. Det går inte att dra hela USA över en kam eftersom landet är så oändligt stort och olikt. Det är verkligen ngt jag lärt mig under mina år här.
Lycka till med allt, och jag förstår att det är skönt att blogga av sig.
Annika i DC

Jane said...

Tack Annika...ja..och fastän jag har varit mycket här med jobbet och rest mycket här så uppfattar man saker och ting lite annorlunda när man inser att man verkligen bor här.