26 November 2011

Thanksgiving/Black Friday

We survived both!

We took a walk in the afternoon down Newport Beach to burn off some calories and make some space before heading down to Laguna Beach for Thanksgiving dinner, which was absolutely delicious. We were still in a food coma Friday morning. Initially we had no plans to do any  shopping but since we were so stuffed from the night before we had to get out of the house for a while. Started off at the Spectrum which is an outdoor mall with a lots of restaurants, outdoor ice-skating, merry-go-rounds etc. Kind of nice to just walk around there on a nice sunny day.


Walked around for a while, hubby did some shopping, had lunch and headed to South Coast Plaza (really hard to stay away from that place, I know!). Must say, we expected more deals and it to be far more crowded...Most shops had some kind of discounts, but you get them every couple of weeks anyway. I guess the bargains were to be made in electronics. A lot of the big shops such as Best Buy opened Friday morning at midnight already and had people queuing during the night. Just as crazy as when the Brits start queuing outside NExt at 5 am on Boxing day! Even apple had some discounts and the first apple shop we passed we couldn't even get into, that's how busy it was. Later on we did mangage to get this stylish mouse though which I had been looking at for quite some time. I know..the apple syndrom where you are willing to pay more for something just because it is apple.


We finished off the evening buy having a meal at a Thai restaurant nearby. I think I need to do some more research and find better places to eat out at. Food was ok, but it still felt like a fast food joint even if we had "real" plates. Surely there must be better options around here (I drive past them all the time but then forget about where they were).

Something I couldn't find on Saturday were Christmas decorations, other to hang in the Christmas tree, so for the first time ever I think, we have no Christmas decorations up on first of advent. I know people don't celebrate it here, but I didn't quite expect not to find ANYTHING to buy. Ah, I do have a somewhat Christmassy tablecloth bought at Target. The ONLY tablecloth we have right now, until the consignment arrives.


This afternoon I am hoping to get a little Christmas feeling (we currently have 26 degrees C outside..phew) at the SWEA Christmas fair. There will even be a Lucia!

No comments: