28 November 2011

Sugar Rush and Kick Counts

Here the OB/gyn asks you to do kick counts on a regular basis. If you notice a decrease, you should call the office (any time) and they will send you to the hospital for fetal movement monitoring. Average kick count once you have had food and sat down should be around 10 kicks within the following two hours. We never had a problem counting those kicks, normally we get them withing 10 minutes :) In Germany I was never asked to track them, not sure about Sweden,  perhaps because the gyn hook you up to the fetal movement monitor (CTG) every two weeks during the last weeks of the pregnancy to check the kicks and the contractions.
There is, however, a little trick to get those kicks going. Like a jump start. We were semi worried last night since we couldn't feel anything so Gavin off the sofa and poured me a glass of coke and got me some lovely Twizzlers.  5 minutes later we could feel some disco dancing going on inside the belly and she is still being pretty active. Why do the doctors never tell you about those tips and tricks? Needless to say, I had problems falling asleep last night and didn't sleep well at all. Hubby, who used to be such a sensitive sleeper, has adjusted (maybe a little too well) to my rough sleeping pattern where it feels like a hippo is rocking the bed everytime I have to turn around (which is pretty often) and would most likely sleep through an earthquake now.

As you can see, no other baby news yet. And the new healthy lifestyle is yet again postponed for a few days. I know we could start today but supposedly I need those carbs to squeeze the little one out :)

We had the regular Monday check up this afternoon, I now have three new appointments this week: fetal movement, another check up with the ob and one ultrasound. All at different offices and on the same day. Crazy.

And oh, I have been chewing those turkish pepper sweets all day, very yummy. But I'd trade them for some Glühwein at the Cologne Christmas market any time. That would be a real treat.


No comments: