18 February 2012

Healthy Living

What was I thinking booking myself into Barry's Bootcamp for a 7 pm class on a Friday night?

Somehow I ended up there, together with 5 other participants half my age. NOT good. Don't ever exercise with significantly younger people than yourself, nor a small group. It can only end in an humiliating way.
Five minutes into the class I was ready to leave again. Was it really this hard last time? Must have forgotten. Running 7 mph with 10% incline, and that is the beginner's speed. Crazy! Somehow I lasted the full hour, but was unable to do some of the exercises on the floor. Push-ups while pulling your knee up at the same time? Unheard of. Jumping up on the stepper backwards with weights in your hands? No way, I might fall over.

Half way through the course the guys took their t-shirts off, the girl next to me took her top off, just running in her sports bra. California style! She shouted "feels, great, doesn't it". I managed to sqzeeze a "yeah" out while concentrating on my breathing. The guy to my left introduced himself as Scott while sprinting, shouting "what a great way to spend Friday night, huh" while increasing the incline to 15%.

The humiliation reached its peak when half the group walked past me saying "great job", " you did great", "keep coming". Must have looked like the chubby one in the corner who really was out of place. Do I have to tell you how happy I was when hubby came home this morning after his first bootcamp class, looking completely exhausted. There are two of us now, the unfit ones!

This morning I went to my first pure barre class. It was a mixture of ballet and pilates, focusing on the legs, butt and abs. Quite hard work since you are touching the muscles you normally don't use. Not sure if it is my thing but I will try it one more time.


1 comment:

Jenna said...

I love reading your adventures, and good for you for the honesty! I'm proud of you for continuing to go back to Barry's. Like you said- those other people are half your age, and guaranteed they didn't have a baby recently!